Skip to content

Contaminated shakes lead to deaths

A Listeria outbreak has claimed three lives and left three others hospitalized after consuming contaminated milkshakes from a restaurant in Tacoma, Washington. According to the Washington State Department of Health, health officials have traced the outbreak to improperly cleaned ice cream machines at a Frugals restaurant in Tacoma.

The ice cream machines were in use until August 7, potentially exposing customers to Listeria bacteria. Investigations revealed that the six affected people had consumed milkshakes between February 27 and July 22, and genetic analysis confirmed that the strain of Listeria found in the milkshakes was the cause of the hospitalizations.

Survivors of the outbreak reported having milkshakes from the same Frugals restaurant before falling ill. Symptoms of Listeria infection can include fever, muscle aches, gastrointestinal problems, and even neurological symptoms such as confusion and seizures.

The health department stressed that no other Frugals restaurants are believed to be affected by the outbreak. However, people who dined at the Tacoma location between May 29 and August 7 and are experiencing Listeria-related symptoms are urged to seek medical attention.

The bacterium Listeria monocytogene, responsible for listeriosis, causes approximately 1,600 cases annually in the United States, resulting in approximately 260 deaths. The infection mainly affects vulnerable populations, such as older adults, pregnant women, infants, and people with weakened immune systems.

This article is sourced from and written by AI.

Track and stay informed about AI-generated news:


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *