Skip to content

Indiana mother dies after drinking too much water on family trip: ‘Four bottles in 20 minutes’ |

We all know how important it is to stay hydrated and drink plenty of water, especially during hot summer days. But there is a lesser-known danger that comes with consuming too much water in a short period of time. It’s called water toxicity, water intoxication, or water poisoning, and it can have devastating consequences.

Tragically, a mother of two in Indiana lost her life due to water poisoning. It was reported that he drank four bottles of water, each about 16 ounces, in just 20 minutes. As a result, her brain began to swell and she was immediately taken to the hospital. Sadly, she was pronounced dead soon after.

From Radar Online:

Ashley Summers, 35, died last month shortly after returning home from a trip to Freeman Lake Reservoir with her husband and two young daughters.

Summers told her family she felt like she “couldn’t drink enough water,” according to the New York Post, before collapsing from water intoxication.

She was reportedly rushed to IU Health Arnett Hospital where she was pronounced dead. Medics told Summers’ family that the 35-year-old died of water toxicity.

“Someone said he drank four bottles of water in 20 minutes,” Devon Miller, the deceased’s brother, told WRTV. “I mean, an average bottle of water is like 16 ounces, so they drank 64 ounces in a 20-minute period.”

“That’s half a gallon,” he added. “That’s what you’re supposed to drink in a whole day.”

Miller also revealed that his 35-year-old sister’s brain began to swell as a result of the large amount of water she consumed in Freeman Lake.

“My sister, Holly, called me and it was an absolute disaster,” Miller explained. “She said, ‘Ashley is in the hospital.’ He has brain swelling, they don’t know what’s causing it, they don’t know what they can do to make it go down and it doesn’t look good’”.

“It was a shock to all of us,” he continued. “When they started talking about water toxicity. Was that like a thing?”

My heart goes out to this poor family, and I can’t imagine the pain they must be going through.

This unfortunate incident reminds us that while staying hydrated is essential, it’s critical to moderate your water intake and avoid consuming too much in a short time.

Let’s take care of ourselves, our families, and raise awareness of the possible risks of water toxicity.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *