FPresident Donald Trump has pledged to release prominent archival records related to the assassination of John F. Kennedy should he win a second term.
“I released a lot, as you know. And I will release everything else,” he told the messenger.
FOUR SENATE RACES IDENTIFIED BY MITCH MCCONNELL THAT COULD GIVE GOP CONTROL IN 2024
During his first term, Trump ordered the release of thousands of JFK files, but kept thousands of others on hold amid concerns from the FBI and CIA. The document dump was prompted by the Kennedy Assassination Records Collection Act of 1992, which set a 2017 deadline for releasing all classified material about the Kennedy assassination.
In 2018, Trump delayed the full release of the Kennedy document tranche until October 2021 amid national security concerns. President Joe Biden later postponed it until December 2022, citing the COVID-19 pandemic.
Libertarian commentator Judge Andrew Napolitano said in a podcast that Trump raised concerns that the public should not have access to some of the classified content. Trump dodged a question about whether that was the case.
So far, Biden has released several batches of JFK documents. That includes nearly 1,500 in 2021 and more than 13,000 last December, representing more than 70% of records previously withheld from the public.
However, critics claim that many documents remain. The Mary Ferrell Foundation, a nonprofit group, slapped Biden and the National Archives and Records Administration with a lawsuit last year, alleging that the delay from 2017 violated the Col. collection of Kennedy assassination records.
On November 22, 1963, Kennedy was shot and killed in Dallas. An investigation concluded that assassin Lee Harvey Oswald acted on his own, but questions have lingered about that fateful day for the next six decades.
According to a CNN report, approximately “95% of the CIA documents within the JFK assassination records collection” have been released to the public so far.
CLICK HERE TO READ MORE FROM THE WASHINGTON EXAMINER
Former CIA Director and Secretary of State Mike Pompeo defended the Trump administration’s decision not to release everything.
“It wasn’t all 60 years ago. And I don’t want to spend a lot of time walking around that,” Pompeo said in an interview earlier this year. “It’s a little awkward, but suffice it to say that if Congress holds a hearing tomorrow on the Kennedy assassinations, the documents generated tomorrow will be part of those files.”