Tensions easing around Portland’s red house

Tensions easing around Portland’s red house

Masked protesters by an occupied home speak with a neighborhood resident opposed to their encampment and demonstration in Portland, Ore. (AP Photo/Gillian Flaccus)

OAN Newsroom
UPDATED 1:25 PM PT – Thursday, December 17, 2020

Protesters in Portland have begun standing down after a days-long siege in the now infamous “Red House.” On Wednesday, those occupying the property removed the road blocks they had erected along North Mississippi Avenue to begin letting traffic flow back through the suburb.

Mayor Ted Wheeler (D) said this development is good news, but some local government officials are skeptical about the negotiations. One of the skeptics is state Sen. Lew Frederick (D).

“They could care less about the family or what’s going on with the home,” said the lawmaker “This was a way for them to sort of act out.”

Frederick explained that while the initial movement may have been grounded in concern for the occupants of the house, the current protest has gotten out of hand and has been ongoing since September.

The property manager and current legal owner, Roman Oza Ruga said he’s willing to work with the protesters to avoid any further confrontation. Ruga purchased the home after it had been foreclosed upon in 2018.

Meanwhile, frustrated neighbors of the “Red House” have spoken out, noting “there’s no willingness from anyone in an elected capacity to do anything about this.”

According to local reports, many people have reached out to provide a comment, but all were afraid to speak publicly for fear of retribution.

MORE NEWS: Police officer, suspect dead after shootout in N.C.



Source link

Like this article?

Share on facebook
Share on Facebook
Share on twitter
Share on Twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on Linkdin
Share on pinterest
Share on Pinterest

Leave a comment

VISIT US
RESIST.
t.bailey@walls-work.org
FOLLOW US

© 2021 Walls Work