Skip to content

Suspect arrested after shooting Houston police officer amid hurricane recovery

Suspect arrested after shooting Houston police officer amid hurricane recovery

Houston police have arrested Ricardo Lezama, 39, who has been charged with two counts of aggravated assault of a public servant after a shooting Monday night (July 8) in the 6000 block of Hollister Street, according to a police statement. The authorities have released the photo of the Lezama reserve, which is seen below.

Do you like America and freedom? Check out Red Beach Nation apparel – 20% off with promo code FREEDOM

The incident left Officer F. Garcia, 36, with a gunshot wound to the leg. He is currently in stable condition at Memorial Hermann-Texas Medical Center. Officer Garcia, who has been with the Northwest Patrol Division since February 2014, did not discharge his weapon during the encounter, police said.

Go ad-free with Premium, try it for $1

The incident happened around 8:00 p.m. when Officer Garcia and his partner responded to a call about an assault in progress at an apartment complex. Upon arrival, they were flagged down by several citizens who reported a disturbance near a building, according to the police statement. As officers approached, a witness informed them that the suspect was armed.

Police said when officers arrived at the apartment they saw Lezama arguing with someone inside. Although the officers gave verbal commands to show their hands and move away, Lezama turned and opened fire, striking Officer Garcia. The unharmed officer continued to order Lezama to show his hands and move away from a wooden fenced yard. Lezama eventually complied and was arrested without further incident.

Security officers administered first aid to Officer Garcia before paramedics took him to the hospital. Notably, no officers discharged their weapons during the incident, police added.

The shooting came as the city of Houston continues its recovery efforts from the recent hurricane, adding strain to already stretched resources and personnel. Despite the difficult circumstances, the police responded quickly and effectively to the emergency.

Per protocol, the HPD Special Investigations Unit and the Harris County District Attorney's Office are investigating this case.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *