Skip to content

Investigators in Obama chef’s death drop motive for 911 call, refuse to name second paddleboarder

Official police records from the night Tafari Campbell, the Obamas’ private chef, tragically drowned, left blank the reason for the 911 call, reports.

Tafari, 45, encountered the accident while paddleboarding at Great Edgartown Pond on a Sunday night. Although he was not alone, the police have refrained from identifying his companion.

The emergency call reporting his fall and subsequent struggle to get back up was made at 7:46 p.m. Although this call was recorded in the Edgartown Police Department records, it should be noted that the reason for the call was left unspecified. Instead, the reasons for all the other calls from the same night were detailed.

The person who was paddleboarding with the Obamas’ personal chef when he drowned near their Martha’s Vineyard estate had desperately tried to save him, officials said.

The unidentified fellow paddleboarder tried to swim to Tafari Campbell, 45, but “didn’t reach him in time,” Massachusetts State Police said in a statement, MassLive reported.

The person, who saw Campbell lose his balance and fall into the water, swam to shore and alerted someone who then called 911, according to the report.

Emergency dispatchers on Martha’s Vineyard also noted that the original 911 call was made by a woman on a boat, presumably looking for Campbell, at 8:18 p.m.

The identity of that woman is unknown, as is whether she was with Campbell on the paddleboard.

The source of the call is also marked as Wilson’s Landing — a paddleboard launch area located about two miles from the Obamas’ Turkeyland Cove residence — contradicting Massachusetts State Police’s claim that the first call originated from there.

The property in question has a private beach ideal for launching paddleboards. At the time of the accident, the former president and first lady were not at home.

The whereabouts of the Obamas’ daughters Sasha and Malia, who were also in town, remain unclear. It is not known if they were at home, out with friends or with their parents.

Obama’s office has not responded to requests for clarification on who was present at the home when the incident occurred.

Campbell’s body was recovered the following Monday at 10 a.m., more than 12 hours after he fell, about 100 feet from shore in water about 8 feet deep.

After the incident, Massachusetts State Police ruled out any suspicion of his death, reporting no external injuries on Campbell’s body when he was retrieved from the water.

The results of a toxicology test performed during the autopsy are still awaited.

The Obamas remembered Campbell, who had served them for 14 years, first in the White House and then in private, as a “beloved member of the family.”

*” Indicates mandatory fields

This article contains comments that reflect the opinion of the author.

Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *